Mirabell closing on Sunday!!
Max
2015-04-30 00:49:37 UTC
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.

<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>

"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Adam H. Kerman
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Cydrome Leader
2015-05-01 23:02:04 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
barbie gee
2015-05-01 23:16:35 UTC
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
Yeah, I dunno why there's so much OG hate.
They make some good soups, how much can go wrong with pasta?
I don't understand the oohing and aahing about it either, but
it's consistently consistent.
RonT
2015-05-02 03:14:49 UTC
Post by barbie gee
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
Yeah, I dunno why there's so much OG hate.
They make some good soups, how much can go wrong with pasta?
I don't understand the oohing and aahing about it either, but it's
consistently consistent.
I read a while back the OG food had the highest sodium of any chain
restaurant out there.
barbie gee
2015-05-02 05:25:10 UTC
Post by RonT
Post by barbie gee
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
Yeah, I dunno why there's so much OG hate.
They make some good soups, how much can go wrong with pasta?
I don't understand the oohing and aahing about it either, but it's
consistently consistent.
I read a while back the OG food had the highest sodium of any chain
restaurant out there.
I'd believe it. Although, when I've had anything from Boston Market, I
actually went, "yuck, this stuff is oversalted". Somehow that same effect
was not achieved at OG.
Geoff Gass
2015-05-02 14:08:07 UTC
Post by barbie gee
Yeah, I dunno why there's so much OG hate.
They make some good soups, how much can go wrong with pasta?
I don't understand the oohing and aahing about it either, but
it's consistently consistent.
because I live in chicago where you often can't throw a rock without hitting
an italian restaurant that is 1000x better than OG. why eat such mediocre
food?

Also:
<http://www.theonion.com/article/schaumburg-man-dimly-aware-of-shadowy-non-schaumbu-692>
Adam H. Kerman
I didn't know about non-Schaumburg's existence either.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-02 03:36:35 UTC
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
I guess I don't understand how you can eat there without a party as
everything is served family style, not that I've ever been to one.
barbie gee
Olive Garden is "family style"? Yer misconfusing something.
smr
2015-05-03 02:24:20 UTC
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
I guess I don't understand how you can eat there without a party as
everything is served family style, not that I've ever been to one.
What?
Olive Garden is "family style"? Yer misconfusing something.
He might be confusing it becca di buppo or whatever, which is also
boring, shitty barely-Italian for rubes.
smr
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-03 03:03:12 UTC
Post by Max
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
I guess I don't understand how you can eat there without a party as
everything is served family style, not that I've ever been to one.
What?
Olive Garden is "family style"? Yer misconfusing something.
He might be confusing it becca di buppo or whatever, which is also
boring, shitty barely-Italian for rubes.
No, I'm just going by their ubiquitous television commercials in which
plates of food are shown served family style, I'm not going by another
restaurant, asshole.
smr
2015-05-03 04:12:26 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
I guess I don't understand how you can eat there without a party as
everything is served family style, not that I've ever been to one.
What?
Olive Garden is "family style"? Yer misconfusing something.
He might be confusing it becca di buppo or whatever, which is also
boring, shitty barely-Italian for rubes.
No, I'm just going by their ubiquitous television commercials in which
plates of food are shown served family style, I'm not going by another
restaurant, asshole.
Well, you're wrong, as per usual, you fucking dumb turd. The other place
I mentioned DOES do the family style bullshit.
smr
Adam H. Kerman
I still wasn't talking about THAT restaurant, asswipe.
barbie gee
2015-05-03 15:55:33 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
I guess I don't understand how you can eat there without a party as
everything is served family style, not that I've ever been to one.
What?
Olive Garden is "family style"? Yer misconfusing something.
He might be confusing it becca di buppo or whatever, which is also
boring, shitty barely-Italian for rubes.
No, I'm just going by their ubiquitous television commercials in which
plates of food are shown served family style, I'm not going by another
restaurant, asshole.
Well, given that the serving sizes are probably enough for 3 people, that
may be where you're getting that impression.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-03 23:28:33 UTC
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by smr
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new [Olive Garden] on
Addison a couple months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by
any measure.
I guess I don't understand how you can eat there without a party as
everything is served family style, not that I've ever been to one.
What?
Olive Garden is "family style"? Yer misconfusing something.
He might be confusing it becca di buppo or whatever, which is also
boring, shitty barely-Italian for rubes.
No, I'm just going by their ubiquitous television commercials in which
plates of food are shown served family style, I'm not going by another
restaurant, asshole.
Well, given that the serving sizes are probably enough for 3 people, that
may be where you're getting that impression.
Ah, perhaps that's it. The portions looked large and people share on
the tv commercials.

I asked someone who ate at an Olive Garden, once, who told me anything
could be ordered single portions.
Geoff Gass
THERE ARE NO FAMILY PORTIONS
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-04 03:59:32 UTC
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by smr
Post by barbie gee
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Barb just said they were large.

I gotta say... I can't believe I'm the only one who never ate there.
.max? You've never been, have you?
Mark Anderson
2015-05-04 05:03:00 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I gotta say... I can't believe I'm the only one who never ate there.
.max? You've never been, have you?
Once again Kerman comments on something without any knowledge of the
subject matter.
Cydrome Leader

you can eat your own meal.
Adam H. Kerman
Fine. I didn't know.
Cydrome Leader
2015-05-06 15:39:14 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Oh, that is sad; haven't been there in some time. Not going to Olive Garden.
Never heard of mirrorball. I did go to the new OG on Addison a couple
months ago. All the jokes aside, it wasn't bad by any measure.
I guess I don't understand how you can eat there without a party as
everything is served family style, not that I've ever been to one.
not true at all.
you can eat your own meal.
Fine. I didn't know.
The portions weren't insane either. I'm not suggesting you hop on the
addison bus right now to go check it out, but it wasn't awful and there's
far far far worse stuff in the city that's not mega corporate chain.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-06 15:51:28 UTC
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
[...]
It's within walking distance, just east of the Kennedy. Typically, I
just don't eat in my own neighborhood.

La Villa is closer and I really like it.

s***@gmail.com
2015-04-30 06:56:53 UTC
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
tyft.

The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.

Try looking for "restaurants for sale" if you want to know if a fave
might be next.
Bruce Esquibel
2015-04-30 12:23:51 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
Not sure about anyone taking over but on the news yesterday they mentioned
the owners are moving to Texas to "try something new", somewhat implying
they are going to open up another eatery down there.

Don't really care they are closing, it was one of those places that for one
reason or another ended up going there every few years and I never had
anything where it made you look forward to the next visit.

Besides saying I never got sick eating there, can't think of anything else
positive.

-bruce
***@ripco.com
jamie
2015-05-01 01:54:15 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
Not sure about anyone taking over but on
the news yesterday they mentioned
the owners are moving to Texas to "try
something new", somewhat implying
they are going to open up another eatery
down there.
Don't really care they are closing, it
was one of those places that for one
reason or another ended up going there
every few years and I never had
anything where it made you look forward
to the next visit.
Besides saying I never got sick eating
there, can't think of anything else
positive.
I read that 24/7 resident parking cut.their business 30%.

Jamie
Max
2015-05-01 06:13:48 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by s***@gmail.com
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
Not sure about anyone taking over but on
the news yesterday they mentioned
the owners are moving to Texas to "try
something new", somewhat implying
they are going to open up another eatery
down there.
Don't really care they are closing, it
was one of those places that for one
reason or another ended up going there
every few years and I never had
anything where it made you look forward
to the next visit.
Besides saying I never got sick eating
there, can't think of anything else
positive.
I read that 24/7 resident parking cut.their business 30%.
not enough people knew they could park at kmart?
2nd to last time brabs and I went we almost didn't figure it out, even
though there's a big-assed sign out front. There is a real aversion
to parking in someone elses lot in Chicago, understandably.

Last time we just whipped into the kmart lot <whoosh> . The Kmart
parking ultimately turned out to be a boon.
Michele
2015-04-30 19:48:08 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
tyft.
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to,
so he's closing up shop and moving.

The CPS is so fux0red.

---
Ts of Og
What, no openings at his local school ?? How about Luther North ??
Mark Anderson
2015-05-01 02:13:56 UTC
Post by Ts of Og
Post by Michele
Post by s***@gmail.com
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to,
so he's closing up shop and moving.
What, no openings at his local school ?? How about Luther North ??
14 schools sounds like hyperbole if that's the stated reason. Moving to
Texas suggests he he might want to retire amongst his own kind. Sounds
more like some kind of AA rant where he can bear his cross letting
everyone know by closing his restaurant as a final gesture of his
distaste for minorities and their status of privilege above the
persecuted WASP.
Geoff Gass
2015-05-01 03:31:25 UTC
Post by Mark Anderson
Post by Ts of Og
Post by Michele
Post by s***@gmail.com
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to,
so he's closing up shop and moving.
What, no openings at his local school ?? How about Luther North ??
neighborhood school has to take them, but neighborhood school could easily
be crap.
Post by Mark Anderson
14 schools sounds like hyperbole if that's the stated reason.
not really. I've read plenty of stories about people who have tried the max
20 and gotten into none. whether he had any shot of getting into any of the
14 is another matter. the magnets are straight lottery and the one by there
(presuming he lives near the restaurant if not above it?) is very popular
(Disney II). Lots of applicants = harder to get in via lottery. he may
have also tried some of the popular neighborhood schools that might not even
take in any out-of-boundary kids
Mark Anderson
2015-05-01 17:58:32 UTC
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Mark Anderson
14 schools sounds like hyperbole if that's the stated reason.
not really. I've read plenty of stories about people who have tried the max
20 and gotten into none. whether he had any shot of getting into any of the
14 is another matter. the magnets are straight lottery and the one by there
(presuming he lives near the restaurant if not above it?) is very popular
(Disney II). Lots of applicants = harder to get in via lottery. he may
have also tried some of the popular neighborhood schools that might not even
take in any out-of-boundary kids
That makes it even more curious as to why it was even mentioned. I read
that there's wait list churn the next few months so this excuse is much
ado about nothing other than perhaps a rant on the current system. No
one makes a move like that without thoroughly researching and evaluating
options. Bringing up the 14 schools seems like a segue into a rant on
reverse racism. A man of his status should not be denied anything and
the 14 school denials was an example of his oppression. So screw you
Chicago, we're moving to Texas.

That's my take when hearing that being mentioned. Not sure why he
didn't just tell the truth that the neighborhood of NIMBYs and crabby
old people stabbed him in the back with parking crippling his business
and be done with it.
s***@gmail.com
2015-05-01 19:29:41 UTC
Post by Mark Anderson
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Mark Anderson
[...]
It would pay Mark in the long run to have his prostate milked on a regular
basis.
Adam H. Kerman
DYOFDW
Mark Anderson
2015-05-01 23:12:04 UTC
Go play with your collection of ancestors.
Geoff Gass
2015-05-02 14:19:09 UTC
Post by Mark Anderson
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Mark Anderson
14 schools sounds like hyperbole if that's the stated reason.
not really. I've read plenty of stories about people who have tried the max
20 and gotten into none. whether he had any shot of getting into any of the
14 is another matter. the magnets are straight lottery and the one by there
(presuming he lives near the restaurant if not above it?) is very popular
(Disney II). Lots of applicants = harder to get in via lottery. he may
have also tried some of the popular neighborhood schools that might not even
take in any out-of-boundary kids
That makes it even more curious as to why it was even mentioned. I read
that there's wait list churn the next few months so this excuse is much
ado about nothing other than perhaps a rant on the current system.
It's not that simple, not by a long shot. With a list of 14 schools, you're
going to have it in a few categories in your mind. Maybe the top 5 are the
ones you really, really want, 6-10 are very good, 11-14 are marginal (may be
for various reasons, school is okay, not great, school is far from you, etc)
So, maybe he had a shot on the waitlist for a couple in his 11-14, but
wasn't willing to chance it. Maybe his 1-5 were ones he knew wouldn't have
much waitlist churn because they're very popular. Maybe he just had really
high numbers at the rest.

Trust me, CPS is *way* more complicated than you think.
Mark Anderson
2015-05-02 16:26:57 UTC
Post by Geoff Gass
It's not that simple, not by a long shot. With a list of 14 schools, you're
going to have it in a few categories in your mind. Maybe the top 5 are the
ones you really, really want, 6-10 are very good, 11-14 are marginal (may be
for various reasons, school is okay, not great, school is far from you, etc)
So, maybe he had a shot on the waitlist for a couple in his 11-14, but
wasn't willing to chance it. Maybe his 1-5 were ones he knew wouldn't have
much waitlist churn because they're very popular. Maybe he just had really
high numbers at the rest.
Trust me, CPS is *way* more complicated than you think.
Making things complicated is called job creation and in some circles;
polishing the turd. Suppose you just want to send your kid to the
neighborhood school down the block? Do you have to apply and get
accepted for that?
Geoff Gass
2015-05-02 16:47:30 UTC
Post by Mark Anderson
Post by Geoff Gass
It's not that simple, not by a long shot. With a list of 14 schools, you're
going to have it in a few categories in your mind. Maybe the top 5 are the
ones you really, really want, 6-10 are very good, 11-14 are marginal (may be
for various reasons, school is okay, not great, school is far from you, etc)
So, maybe he had a shot on the waitlist for a couple in his 11-14, but
wasn't willing to chance it. Maybe his 1-5 were ones he knew wouldn't have
much waitlist churn because they're very popular. Maybe he just had really
high numbers at the rest.
Trust me, CPS is *way* more complicated than you think.
Making things complicated is called job creation and in some circles;
polishing the turd.
don't ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. it's a
product of decades of bureaucracy that isn't helped by constant leadership
changes (Daley and Rahm both shift people in and out of CPS with
regularity).
Post by Mark Anderson
Suppose you just want to send your kid to the
neighborhood school down the block? Do you have to apply and get
accepted for that?
No, you just go enroll. The schools prefer it if you sign up before the
previous school year ends for entering K (ie now for starting this fall),
but there is no requirement and they cannot turn you down if you live within
their boundaries.
smr
smr
barbie gee
2015-05-01 03:02:36 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
tyft.
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to, so
he's closing up shop and moving.
The CPS is so fux0red.
what?
grammar school or HS?
maybe he shoulda just put the kid in private school?
Geoff Gass
14 would have to be grammar school
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-01 05:31:43 UTC
Post by Max
Post by barbie gee
Post by barbie gee
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Max
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
tyft.
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to, so
he's closing up shop and moving.
The CPS is so fux0red.
what?
grammar school or HS?
maybe he shoulda just put the kid in private school?
14 would have to be grammar school
That would be high school. You're probably 14 when you start your freshman
year, then turn 15 over the next nine months (unless you have a summer
birthday). You turn 18 during your senior year.
Geoff Gass
14 schools, not 14 years old
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-02 03:34:58 UTC
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
Post by barbie gee
Post by barbie gee
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Max
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
tyft.
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to, so
he's closing up shop and moving.
The CPS is so fux0red.
what?
grammar school or HS?
maybe he shoulda just put the kid in private school?
14 would have to be grammar school
That would be high school. You're probably 14 when you start your freshman
year, then turn 15 over the next nine months (unless you have a summer
birthday). You turn 18 during your senior year.
14 schools, not 14 years old
I still don't understand how you determined the kid wasn't entering
high school.
Geoff Gass
2015-05-02 14:02:45 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Max
Post by barbie gee
Post by barbie gee
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Max
[...]
there are *way* more grammar schools than high schools. It's unlikely that
someone would have 14 high schools that they'd be applying to. 14 grammar
schools is not uncommon for someone with a bad neighborhood school
Bruce Esquibel
2015-05-03 11:46:47 UTC
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I still don't understand how you determined the kid wasn't entering
high school.
there are *way* more grammar schools than high schools. It's unlikely that
someone would have 14 high schools that they'd be applying to. 14 grammar
schools is not uncommon for someone with a bad neighborhood school
This bit with the kids not getting into school doesn't make sense to me.

That place has been open for 38 years, assuming they opened it when they
were in their early 20's, they would be pushing 60 now.

Even if they spit the kids out at 40, which is unlikely, they would be
college age.

I mean maybe whoever owns it are the 2nd owners, kids could be adopted, who
knows.

They just re-ran the story on the abc news and again, all it mentions is
moving to Texas to "do something new".

Where did this bit with the kids get reported?

-bruce
***@ripco.com
Adam H. Kerman
2015-05-03 13:58:09 UTC
One of the articles said it's on its second owner, took over from his father.
Geoff Gass
2015-05-03 14:32:46 UTC
Post by Bruce Esquibel
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I still don't understand how you determined the kid wasn't entering
high school.
there are *way* more grammar schools than high schools. It's unlikely that
someone would have 14 high schools that they'd be applying to. 14 grammar
schools is not uncommon for someone with a bad neighborhood school
This bit with the kids not getting into school doesn't make sense to me.
That place has been open for 38 years, assuming they opened it when they
were in their early 20's, they would be pushing 60 now.
Even if they spit the kids out at 40, which is unlikely, they would be
college age.
I mean maybe whoever owns it are the 2nd owners, kids could be adopted, who
knows.
IINM, it's a kid of the original owner that's moving
Michele?
Michele
2015-05-03 20:03:56 UTC
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Bruce Esquibel
Post by Bruce Esquibel
They just re-ran the story on the abc news and again, all it mentions is
moving to Texas to "do something new".
Where did this bit with the kids get reported?
Michele?
You mean I have to go dig it up again?

<sigh>

FINE.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago/1990628-trib-editorial-families-leaving-chicago-22.html

First comment.
Michele
2015-05-03 20:09:11 UTC
Post by Michele
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by Bruce Esquibel
Post by Bruce Esquibel
They just re-ran the story on the abc news and again, all it mentions is
moving to Texas to "do something new".
Where did this bit with the kids get reported?
Michele?
You mean I have to go dig it up again?
<sigh>
FINE.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago/1990628-trib-editorial-families-leaving-chicago-22.html
First comment.
Scroll down to the bottom for the official reveal.

Brabs - go to page 24 for a familiar snobby screen name.
Mark Anderson
2015-05-03 20:25:03 UTC
Post by Michele
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago/1990628-trib-editorial-families-leaving-chicago-22.html
From the linked to article:
----
Who are these young people? They're the best and brightest from all over
the Midwest, judging by the campaigns waged by universities in
neighboring states to lure those graduates home.

Author Edward McClelland, a Michigan State University alumnus who lives
in Rogers Park, notes that in 2010, the city with the greatest number of
recent Michigan State grads wasn't Detroit or East Lansing, but Chicago.
In the neighborhoods where those young people land, he says, "there's a
bar for every Big 10 school."
----

LOL. Next time I see a pic of a bro puking on a Wrigleyville sidewalk
or pissing in an alley or shouting racist language at passing cars I'm
going to remember that first paragraph. Made me laugh today which is
something.
barbie gee
2015-05-01 16:05:42 UTC
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by barbie gee
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
tyft.
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to, so
he's closing up shop and moving.
The CPS is so fux0red.
what?
grammar school or HS?
maybe he shoulda just put the kid in private school?
14 would have to be grammar school
I didn't read that as "his 14 year old kid", but intstead as "get his kid
into 14 schools".
Geoff Gass
2015-05-01 22:55:33 UTC
Post by barbie gee
Post by Geoff Gass
Post by barbie gee
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
tyft.
The trouble with mom and pop places is that you run them till you die.
I bet nobody wanted to take it over.
I read that he tried to get his kids into 14 schools and was unable to, so
he's closing up shop and moving.
The CPS is so fux0red.
what?
grammar school or HS?
maybe he shoulda just put the kid in private school?
14 would have to be grammar school
I didn't read that as "his 14 year old kid", but intstead as "get his kid
into 14 schools".
odd, I thought I posted more than that. guess not. I know it meant 14
schools, which would have to be grammar schools because there are so many
fewer high schools it's highly unlikely anyone would have 14 they're trying
to get into. 14 grammar schools on a lottery list is probably normal-ish
for someone with a shitty neighborhood school
smr
2015-04-30 14:54:02 UTC
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Eh, it's no Laschett's. I'll be genuninely bummed out if/when that place
closes down.
smr
Ts of Og
$10 for Benito's Beef Sammy is on the steep end.
smr
2015-05-01 16:11:15 UTC
Post by smr
Post by Max
That sucks! Sunday is the last day. boo.
<https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150429/irving-park/mirabell-restaurant-on-addison-close-shuttering-famed-german-spot>
"Mirabell will open at 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. Saturday
and noon on Sunday."
Eh, it's no Laschett's. I'll be genuninely bummed out if/when that place
closes down.
I'm still undecided on Laschett's vs. Resi's.
It's a toughie. I like the beer garden at Resi's, it's fuckin' lovely in
nice weather. But Laschett's is where we do our once-a-year "let's eat
Kraut food 'til it hurts" fest we do with another couple and it's just
tradition. I'd miss it more than Resi's.
--
smr